Did you know that you can actually renew your Malaysian passport online?
Online passport renewals were implemented a few years back, since 2016, however there are still many Malaysians who are in the dark about this. Skip the queue and avoid the hassle, why not try renewing your passport online for a change?
Here’s all you need to know about renewing your Malaysian passport online.
Current pricing for passport renewal
- Citizens age 13-59 : RM 200 for 5 years validity
- Senior citizens age 60+ : RM 100 for 5 years validity
Before applying online
- Applicable for passport renewals only. For first time applicants, they need to head to the nearest passport office to get their passports done
- Only accepts applications for passports that are less than one year from expiration
- Your uploaded passport photo must be recent, and its size must be 5cm x 3.5cm. It can be taken by a professional photographer, or you can take your own photos and rely on a free service such as EPassportPhoto to resize your photo to the correct specifications
- As per current regulations, the photo background must be white, and the applicant has to be dressed in dark clothes when taking the photo, otherwise there will be a delay in your application
- The website for online renewals doesn’t work very well with mobile devices. Applying using a computer is recommended
- Payment methods now include credit cards and bank transfer
- Once the renewal has been completed, the receipt must be printed out in order to collect your passport
Steps to renew your passport online
- Visit the Immigration Department’s online passport renewal website
2. Make sure that you’ve read and met all the requirements before scrolling down and hitting the “Setuju” button at the bottom of the page
3. On the next page, select the applicant’s age group, then proceed to input your particulars such as passport number, IC number and collection office. Don’t worry about the rest as they will be auto-completed based on your inputs. Make sure you select a passport collection office that is the nearest and most convenient for you. Click “Cari” once you’re done
4. Follow the website’s instructions and upload a photo that meets the aforementioned requirements
5. Perform the payment by credit card and make sure you save the receipt. The collection time will be determined in the system based on when you’ve submitted your application. As a rule of thumb, same day collections can be done if you have submitted your application latest by 3pm!
Print out your receipt and bring it along to your chosen passport office to collect your new passport!